Friday, November 22, 2019

Veterans for Peace takes action on Climate Justice

News came today from Veterans for Peace that VFP Executive Director, Garett Reppenhagen was arrested in Washington DC as part of the #FireDrillFriday action.  Today's action theme was the protection of the earth's water.  Here is what Garett said as part of his testimony:

'War is general is destructive to our planet in so many ways.  In Iraq, I saw firsthand demolition of utility infrastructure.  Destroyed plumbing made available clean water scarce and further damage to waste systems contaminated water supplies.  The fertile crescent was nurtured by the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, now too polluted to swim in.  Today, precious few can even now count on something so simple as a safe cup of tap water.'
'When I came home, I became very self-destructive.  I was a sniper in Iraq and because I perpetuated those crimes, I felt a heavy weight of grief and guilt, and finding my way into activism started to save my life.  Repurposing myself and finding a new identity in the movement to serve this country in an HONEST way and protect my communities in a REAL way allowed me to start healing my moral injury.'





No comments: